The Pics

FIRST-TEAM 2 - 2 Walsall Wood

Away | 17 May 2018
After Extra Time
(FIRST-TEAM Won 4-3 on Penalties)
The Pics came out on top at Banks's Stadium, winning 4-3 on penalties after being held to a 2-2 draw in normal time by 10 men Walsall Wood to win this year’s Walsall Senior Cup.

In a quiet start to the game Danny Waldron was the only man to come close to scoring, when his header on six minutes went over the bar.

There were no real talking points from then until the Pics took the lead on 23 minutes. Simeon Maye did well to steal the ball from a Wood defender down the right, and Richard Brodie picked up the loose ball before dinking over Lloyd Ransome into the bottom corner.

Walsall Wood’s task was made even harder when they were reduced to ten men on 38 minutes. Keenan Meakin-Richards lashed out at Brodie and referee Richard Cattell had no hesitation in producing the red card.

Walsall Wood came out strongly in the second half, and sub Lei Brown forced Joe Slinn into a save low to his right after 52 minutes.

The equaliser did come on 57 minutes when Paul Sullivan smashed a free kick goalwards. His effort took a wicked deflection on the way, and looped over Slinn to make it 1-1.

Rushall’s lead was restored in fine style on 67 minutes, when Andre Landell picked up the ball in the box down the left hand side. The midfielder steadied himself before picking his spot in the top corner with a perfectly placed finish.

Rushall had two chances to put the game beyond doubt in quick succession not long after. First Brodie saw his effort curl wide of the goal before Waldron had a low effort saved well by Ransome.

A fantastic free kick from Paul Sullivan in the 88th minute was bettered only by the save from Joe Slinn. The keeper somehow tipped the effort round his post.

Brodie went close to sealing it with a delicate lob soon after, but Ransome scuttled back to deny him on the line.

Walsall Wood ensured the game went to penalties with a dramatic goal in the dying seconds. A corner from the right hand side was met by Lei Brown, who bundled the ball over the line to whip the Wood faithful into a frenzy.

The Pics came out on top in the penalty shoot out, with Danny Waldron scoring the winning spot kick after successful efforts from Brodie, Sam Whittall and Simeon Maye. Joe Slinn also displayed some heroics in the shoot-out, saving well to give Rushall the edge early on.

Starting Line Up