The Pics

Home | 07 October 2017

Match Report

Rushall Edge Out Shrews
Rushall moved into the top ten, scoring twice in the last 5 minutes to take all three points from a tight contest.
With both teams playing the ball from the back, the opening stages saw some neat passing in all areas with Birch and Littler notably winning and retaining possession for the visitors in the centre of the pitch on several occasions.
The first chance went to Shrewsbury on 9 minutes, when their number 9 latched on to a long through ball to outpace his marker. His fierce drive was spectacularly tipped on to the cross-bar by Hillback.
Rushall responded as Paddock worked the ball from the left back position to Fox, who outpaced the defender down the left wing, before delivering a dangerous cross. Wyton did well to get to the ball firstbut his volleyed effort cleared the bar.
Defences dominated with both teams working hard to close the ball down. Rushall full-backs Bailey and Paddock both stood up well to Town’s pacey widemen, cutting off supply lines to the main striker. However, it was Fox, again marauding down the left, who came close to breaking the deadlock as his cross shot clipped the cross-bar and bounced away to safety.
Rushall began to pass the ball better than their opponents who increasingly relied on accurate long passes from their talented centre back into the space behind the visitors’ back-line for their pacey lone striker to chase. The visitors retained possession much better and a neat passing move involving Bailey, Birch and Wooldridge worked the ball out of a tight space in their defensive right corner to release Surrell.
In the closing stages of the opening period, Busher intercepted a square pass in the opposition’s half, creating a good opening for himself and forcing a fine save from the Shrews’ keeper. With Rushall beginning to force the play, Paddock’s well weighted through ball released Fox whose 1 v 1 effort was again saved by the home keeper.
With Bishop down injured in the centre of the pitch, the Rushall defence lost concentration, appealing to the referee for the game to be stopped. Play continued and the big Shrewsbury striker played a one two to create a good chance but he failed to hit the target.
Half-time: Shrewsbury Town 0 – 0 Rushall Olympic
The second period started much the same as the first with Rushall looking to build the play and Shrewsbury taking a more direct approach. Surrell received the ball from a throw-in and twisted away from his marker only to see his low shot drift wide of the far post.
The hosts stepped up their work-rate and began to dominate possession, creating a number of opportunities. Rushall maintained a good defensive shape however, dropping deeper and forcing the home side to shoot from wide areas. Hillback had his angles correct and dealt comfortably with Shrewsbury’s efforts on goal.
In the 44th minute, the visitors’ defence was almost breached. Two defenders collided with each other leading to a scramble in the goalmouth. As the ball looped over Hillback, the home celebrations were cut short as Bishop, operating in midfield, got back behind his defenders to heroically head clear from the goal-line.
Minutes later, Shrewsbury’s 16 and 9 combined again with the big striker racing on to another fine through ball. His heavy touch however, was the trigger for Hillback to race off his line to gather the ball at the edge of his area.
Unlike the first half, Rushall were struggling to keep the ball now, with possession given up too easily when in the opponents half of the pitch. However, after riding out a period of sustained pressure, the visitors began to pass the ball again and the power and pace of Fox was always a threat on the break.
With five minutes left to play, Barrington won the ball mid-way inside his own half and played in Fox who exchanged passes with Hutchins to create a good opportunity. Fox’s shot across the keeper cannoned back off the post but Hutchins was there to smash the rebound into the top corner to give Rushall the lead.
The goal gave the visitors more belief and Fox again went close. As the game drew to a close, Bailey picked the ball up in a central position and fed Fox down the left. Again he breezed past his marker to deliver a fine cross to the far post. Busher brought the ball down and cut it back to Hutchins who tapped in to seal the three points for Rushall.
With lots of positives to take from the game, the result and the performance will give the Rushall players and coaches confidence going into a tough home fixture against Shifnal next week.
Full Time: Shrewsbury Town 0 – 2 Rushall Olympic

Match Photo's